CHFG Open Seminar Aberdeen 23rd May 2018
HF/E in Healthcare, Investigation and Education, 23rd May 2018, Aberdeen
This one-day event, the latest in our series of Open Seminars, was hosted in Scotland for the first time.
We had an incredibly informative and interactive day with a stellar line-up of contributors.
Martin Bromiley opened the session and introduced our morning Keynote speakers Craig McIlhenny from Forth Valley and Paul Bowie NHS Education Scotland, who provided us with an update on the excellent work taking place in NHS Scotland. To view Craig’s presentation please click here
- Professor George Youngson CBE – Emeritus Professor of Paediatric Surgery, University of Aberdeen. Talk title: Authority and assertiveness or abuse and aggression? To view George’s slides please click here
- Dr Helen Vosper – Teaching Fellow, Robert Gordon University. Talk title: Human Factors and Ergonomics as a strategy for improving medication safety. To view Helen’s slides please click here
- Dr Kathryn Mearns – Principal Human Factors Specialist – Wood Special Technical Services. Talk title: Safety Culture – we can measure it but can we manage it? To view Kathryn’s slides please click here
- Dr Alastair Ross – Lecturer, University of Glasgow. Talk title: The Functional Resonance Analysis Method (FRAM) for modelling non-trivial socio-technical systems. To view Alastair’s slides please click here.
During the afternoon our Keynote presentation was Keith Conradi, Chief Investigator at the Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch (HSIB). Keith gave us an update on the work taking place at HSIB and we are looking forward to seeing their first results being published in June.
During the afternoon breakout sessions we heard from:
- Dr Shelly Jeffcott – Principal Educator, NHS Education for Scotland. Talk title: Pushing back on the way we do things around here. To view Shelly’s slides please click here
- Professor Ron McLeod – McLeod Consulting. Talk title: Bowtie Analysis as an approach to the prospective assessment of the risk in healthcare. To view Ron’s slides please click here
- Dr John Rutherford and Dr David McNair, Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary. Talk title: Running a Human Factors course in a district general hospital. To view John and David’s slides please click here
- Manoj Kumar – Consultant Surgeon, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. Talk title: Safety Reviews: Bridging the gap between work as imagined and work as done. Manoj’s slides will be uploaded shortly.
To see a full programme of the day click here
Thank you to all those that participated in the day, both speakers who gave their time freely and delegates who shared their insights and challenged us.
A special thanks to Robert Gordon University who hosted us and Check 6 and Atrainability for their sponsorship.